Say hi there to your new favourite Tex-Mex dinner! This Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole has all of the traditional enchilada taste, however with a couple of quarter of the work!
Plus, the recipe is extremely versatile and you may add whichever veggies or protein you’d prefer to it, inside motive.
It takes about 20 minutes to toss collectively, however you can even make it properly upfront after which bake it while you’re prepared for dinner!
Consider this enchilada casserole as a cheat code to your favourite Tex-Mex Dinner!
Let’s make it!
Making the Vegetable Filling for Enchiladas
The reality is that there’s a wide selection of veggies that will work right here. I went with a mixture of onions, candy potatoes, pink peppers, and jalapeno.
Black beans, corn, and inexperienced chiles go in later, however you wish to saute these alone in some olive oil with spices in order that they soften. They might want to cook dinner for 5-6 minutes over medium warmth.
As soon as they’ve softened, you possibly can add the canned elements. I additionally added the garlic throughout this step so it wouldn’t burn. Trying good!
To complete the filling, add about 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce to the skillet and simmer every little thing collectively for a couple of minutes. Style it and modify it to your liking!
Different Filling Concepts for Enchilada Casserole
Go loopy with filling concepts right here! For greens, any beans will work nice. Mushrooms are a hearty addition.
When you have some protein in your fridge you would brown up some floor beef as a substitute of the beans and make a beefy casserole or cube up some rooster and go that route!
Constructing the Enchilada Casserole
Consider this as a type of tex-mex lasagna!
Add some enchilada sauce to the underside of your baking dish, high with corn tortillas, then add the filling, cheese, extra tortillas, extra filling, extra cheese, extra tortillas.
The quantity of filling you utilize for every layer will depend upon the scale of your pan. When you have a protracted slim pan, you possibly can unfold out the filling. When you have a excessive pan, you possibly can pile up the filling and even add one other layer.
The final layer of the casserole ought to just a few tortillas on high. These act as a pleasant high layer that get kinda crispy as they bake.
Baking the Enchilada Casserole
Cowl the casserole and bake it for 20 minutes or so at 375˚F. Then take away the foil, add some further cheese, and bake for one more 10-Quarter-hour to soften the cheese. Every little thing must be bubbly and scrumptious.
When the enchilada casserole comes out, high it with cilantro, pink onion, and diced tomato. YUM!
Are you able to this upfront?
There may be some work concerned in placing this casserole collectively (though lower than conventional enchiladas) so it may be useful to prep every little thing after which simply toss it within the oven!
This works fantastically. You may utterly make the casserole after which simply bake it off when you find yourself prepared for dinner.
Storing and Reheating
You’ll in all probability have leftovers. YAY! The casserole will maintain nice within the fridge for 4-5 days. You may reheat the entire thing within the oven till warmed by way of or reheat particular person parts within the microwave works wonderful additionally.
You may freeze this casserole. In case you do that, cool it utterly and switch it to a freezer-safe container. You may thaw/bake it within the oven till warmed by way of within the middle.
I prefer to serve this vegetarian enchilada casserole with chips, avocado, and bitter cream. It’s a winner!
A full mixture of favourite greens together with candy potatoes, black beans, corn, pink peppers, and ALL the toppings piled excessive in a casserole with enchilada sauce! Simpler than making a bunch of tiny enchiladas!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 candy onion, diced
1 pink pepper, diced
2 cups cubed candy potatoes
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz.) can candy corn, drained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (4 oz.) can inexperienced chiles
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups pink enchilada sauce, divided
10 6-inch corn tortillas
10-12 ounces monterey jack cheese
Diced pink onion
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a big skillet over medium warmth, add the olive oil together with candy potatoes, onions, pink peppers, and jalapenos. Add salt, cumin, and chili powder and saute the combination for 5-6 minutes till greens begin to soften.
- Add black beans, corn, and garlic to the skillet. Proceed to cook dinner for a couple of minutes to mix flavors.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the enchilada sauce to the skillet and stir to mix. Simmer for a couple of minutes after which take away from warmth. Style and modify flavors to your liking.
- In a 2 1/2 quart baking dish or comparable sized baking dish, add 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce and unfold it out on the underside of the dish. Then add a layer of corn tortillas. Rip up the tortillas to cowl any gaps. Add a layer of the vegetable filling, adopted by about 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat with extra tortillas, the remainder of the vegetable filling, extra cheese, and a ultimate layer of corn tortillas.
- Cowl the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the baking dish and add the reserved cheese to the highest. Bake, uncovered for 10-Quarter-hour till cheese is effervescent.
- Prime the enchilada casserole with diced pink onion, tomatoes, cilantro, and avocado. Serve whereas heat.
Enchilada casserole retains properly within the fridge for 4-5 days. Reheat the entire casserole in a 350˚F oven till warmed by way of, or microwave particular person servings till scorching and cheese is re-melted.