Candy and tangy, this selfmade candy and bitter sauce is prepared in lower than 10 minutes.
Simply add the 6 elements to the pan, stir and simmer for a couple of minutes and also you’re finished.
A unbelievable dipping and drizzling sauce for prawn toast, coconut prawns and fried rice.
A useful sauce to have on standby within the fridge or freezer, this simple candy and bitter sauce is fast to organize utilizing minimal elements.
- Prefer it spicy?
- Need it additional candy?
- Desire a double batch?
No downside, I’ve bought solutions to all these questions and extra within the recipe card.
📋 What do we want?
- Sugar – use mild brown or darkish brown sugar (I exploit mild brown more often than not). Darkish brown sugar is barely extra acidic, so in the event you prefer it actually tangy, go together with that one.
- Vinegar – I discover malt vinegar give the perfect tangy for candy and bitter sauce. Nevertheless, in the event you’re making this for somebody who cannot have malt vinegar (i.e ceoliac) you possibly can substitute with white wine vinegar.
- Garlic and ginger – use recent minced garlic or ginger, or you possibly can substitute with the minced garlic and ginger that is available in a jar. Each work equally nicely.
- Ketchup – I exploit good outdated Heinz because it’s nicely seasoned and fairly cheap. No have to waste your gourmand ketchup on this sauce!
- Pineapple juice – use recent, from-concentrate-cartons (I’ve been recognized to raid the children juice cartons) and even the juice from a tin of pineapple in juice. Recent bottled stuff has essentially the most flavour, however there’s greater than sufficient flavour to compensate within the different elements in the event you use the cartons or tinned juice. I alternate between all three, and no-one ever notices the distinction.
🔪 Tips on how to make candy and bitter sauce
- One of many easiest recipes on our web site! Simply add all of the elements to the pan (full ingredient portions within the recipe card on the backside of this put up), deliver to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes till barely thickened.
- Flip off the warmth and serve!
- How about serving it up with coconut shrimp?👇
👩🍳PRO TIP You might be able to see some little flecks of ginger and garlic within the sauce. If you happen to do not need to see them in your sauce, you possibly can pressure the sauce right into a jug over a fine-mesh sieve.
🍽️ What to serve it with
📺 Watch learn how to make it
🍲 Extra unbelievable sauces and dips
Candy and Bitter Sauce Recipe
Candy and tangy, this selfmade candy and bitter sauce is prepared in lower than 10 minutes. Simply 6 elements – add to the pan and simmer. Completed!
Add the entire elements to a small saucepan and stir collectively.
Warmth over a medium-high warmth. Carry to the boil and simmer for five minutes till barely thickened.
Flip off the warmth and pour right into a serving bowl. Serve sizzling, heat or chilly.
Sure – make the sauce, cool, cowl and refrigerate for as much as 3 days. Serve chilly or heat by way of in a saucepan earlier than serving.
Can I freeze it?
Sure – make the sauce, cool, cowl and freeze. Defrost in a single day within the fridge and warmth till piping sizzling in a saucepan earlier than serving. You may as well reheat from frozen in a saucepan, or within the microwave, stirring a number of occasions throughout reheating.
If you happen to like a bit of warmth, add in 1 tablespoon of sriracha OR ½ tsp chilli flakes OR a finely chopped recent chilli with the entire different elements earlier than simmering.
Add an additional 2-3 tablespoons of sunshine brown or caster (superfine) sugar.
You may make the sauce, then style and add extra sugar to style.
Add recent or tinned pineapple chunks for added texture.
Tips on how to scale up this recipe
You may double and even triple this recipe. You’ll need to simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes, till the thickness is to your liking in the event you’re making a much bigger batch.
Dietary info is per serving.
This recipes makes approx 360ml (1 ½ cups) – which i’ve counted as 6 servings.
Energy: 93kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 1gFats: 1gSaturated Fats: 1gSodium: 231mgPotassium: 138mgFiber: 1gSugar: 20gVitamin A: 130IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 20mgIron: 1mg
Among the hyperlinks on this put up could also be affiliate hyperlinks – which implies in the event you purchase the product I get a small fee (at no additional price to you). If you happen to do purchase, then thanks! That’s what helps us to maintain Kitchen Sanctuary operating. The dietary info offered is approximate and might differ relying on a number of components. For extra info please see our Terms & Conditions.