This recipe was up to date on March 30, 2021 to incorporate video and new descriptions.
I initially considered this Straightforward Tacky Rice and Beans as a hearty facet dish to serve with nearly something Tex-Mex, however then I noticed that it’s really scrumptious sufficient to function an entree!
The entire rice and beans recipe comes collectively in a single skillet which makes for simple clear up. If you’re serving it immediately you’ll be able to serve it straight out of the skillet and if you wish to do the entree model, serve the tacky rice and beans with heat flour tortillas.
I made this base model very gentle so my kiddos wouldn’t complain, however it will be simple to spice it up both by substituting a spicy salsa or including in a couple of diced peppers to start with of the recipe.
Regardless of the way you serve it, this Tacky Rice and Beans recipe must be in your arsenal. You may even have every thing you have to make it in your pantry proper now!
Tacky Rice and Beans Video
What sort of Beans and Rice to Use?
I prefer to preserve it simple for this recipe and use plain white rice and black beans, however there’s no purpose you couldn’t use different choices. Pinto beans would work nice and you may substitute brown rice for the white rice in the event you wished to. You may want so as to add a bit extra liquid to cook dinner the brown rice. You’ll simply want to look at it.
Tacky Beans and Rice in One Skillet
Every thing for this rice and beans dish comes collectively in a single skillet, however clearly not on the identical time. Order is essential!
Begin the recipe with a drizzle of oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Then add the diced onion and garlic. Cook dinner them till they’re translucent (not browned in any respect).
Then you’ll be able to add the salsa. I stored mine very gentle, however once more – you do you!
Including the Rice to the Skillet
I like a long-grained white rice for my rice and beans, however you may use any rice. A very powerful half is to rinse it properly earlier than you add it to the skillet. Like, it’s best to rinse the rice till the water is obvious.
For those who don’t rinse the rice properly, then the starch on the rice will make every thing clump collectively within the skillet and it’ll take far more water for it to cook dinner appropriately.
Assuming you might be utilizing canned black beans, rinse them properly additionally!
Then you’ll be able to add the rice and beans to the skillet with every thing else!
Ending the Tacky Rice and Beans
Stir all of the substances collectively very well after which add the liquid. I simply add water however you may use inventory in the event you wished.
Carry the beans and rice skillet to a simmer and switch the warmth right down to low. Cowl it and cook dinner till the rice is cooked and the liquid is evaporated, about quarter-hour.
It helps to stir it a few times whereas it cooks additionally to ensure the rice isn’t clumping collectively. If it appears too dry, add a bit extra water.
Finally, the rice will probably be tender and every thing will odor scrumptious! That is when you’ll be able to season your rice and beans skillet.
Now to complete it! Add some massive handfuls of cheddar cheese in pockets across the rice and beans. For those who work quick, you’ll be able to cowl the skillet once more and the residual warmth will soften the cheese.
Or, you’ll be able to stick the skillet in a 350 diploma F. oven for just some minutes to make the cheese super-melty. That’s my choice!
This tacky rice and beans skillet additionally will get some sliced avocado and contemporary cilantro!
Serve these tacky rice and beans as a facet or load it right into a tortilla with some bitter cream. YUM!
Storing Tacky Beans
You probably have leftovers of this one skillet beans and rice meal, excellent news! It retains splendidly for a couple of days. It really reheats properly within the microwave or you’ll be able to reheat it over the stovetop with a splash of water. Cowl it and warmth till warmed by way of and cheese is re-melted.
This simple tacky rice and beans is all made in a single skillet! It has nice flavors and may be served as a facet dish or as an entree served with flour tortillas. YUM!
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon floor cumin
1/2 cup gentle salsa
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
1 cup lengthy grain white rice, rinsed properly
2 cups water
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
Contemporary cilantro, garnish
Flour tortillas, non-compulsory for serving
- In a big forged iron skillet, add olive oil over medium warmth. Add onions and garlic and cook dinner till veggies soften, 3-4 minutes. Then add salsa and stir collectively. Season combination with cumin and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Rinse rice properly underneath chilly water till the water runs clear. Then add rice to the skillet together with drained and rinsed black beans. Stir collectively properly.
- Add water (or inventory) to the skillet and convey to a slight simmer. Flip warmth right down to low and canopy. Cook dinner rice and beans for 15-18 minutes till rice is cooked and water is evaporated. Stir a few times throughout cooking to ensure the rice isn’t clumping or cooking too rapidly. If the rice and beans appears notably dry, add one other 1/2 cup of liquid.
- When rice and beans are cooked and the rice is tender, stir combination with a fork and season to your style with salt and pepper.
- Dot the highest of the rice and beans with handfuls of cheddar cheese and canopy with lid. Residual warmth ought to soften the cheese, however in the event you’ve waited too lengthy, you too can stick the skillet in a 350 levels F. oven for a couple of minutes to soften the cheese very well (that’s my choice).
- Garnish skillet with sliced avocado and contemporary cilantro and serve whereas heat.
The tacky rice and beans works nice as a hearty facet dish OR you’ll be able to serve it with flour tortillas to make it an entree.