This Beer Battered Shrimp recipe was up to date on January 26, 2021 to incorporate video and new descriptions.
We missed our annual journey to North Carolina with Betsy’s household this yr for apparent causes and it has left me fully craving fantastic shrimp. We go yearly and I all the time attempt to principally eat my weight in seafood because it’s so recent and scrumptious. Usually, I maintain the shrimp steamed, however this yr I experimented with Beer Battered Shrimp and liked the outcomes!
Generally while you get fried shrimp they’re coated in a heavy breading they usually find yourself being extra breading than shrimp.
Utilizing a beer batter sort of flips the ratio and you find yourself with this skinny, crispy batter coating a young juicy shrimp. A bit Outdated Bay helps add some seasoning and whilst you might serve it with cocktail sauce, I like these beer battered shrimp with only a squirt of lemon!
Beer Battered Shrimp Video
The right way to Make Beer Batter
Any time I take into consideration frying, I like to consider the feel I’m on the lookout for in my completed fried meals. Generally you desire a thick breading, however for one thing like seafood I would like one thing skinny and crispy that doesn’t disguise the meals. If it’s performed proper, you need to be capable of see the shrimp by means of the fried batter!
To make my batter even crispier, I like so as to add a great quantity of cornstarch to my batter, which his basic in Asian type tempura.
Add an egg and a beer, after all! Whisk this all collectively and you’re in enterprise.
The completed batter must be like a lightweight pancake batter. Let’s transfer to the shrimp!
Beer Battered Shrimp
I like to make use of massive or further massive shrimp for beer battered shrimp. Add the shrimp to the batter as soon as they’re peeled.
You recognize your batter is correct in case you can choose the shrimp out of the batter and many of the batter drips off the shrimp. That is good!
Fry the shrimp in oil at 350˚ F. They are going to fry rapidly and be performed and crispy in about 4 minutes. Attempt to fry them in batches although or else they may stick collectively!
When the shrimp come out, hit them with an additional pinch of Outdated Bay. I really like how these turned out!
Right here’s my take a look at chunk so you may see how skinny the batter is on the beer battered shrimp!
Pile these fried beer battered shrimp excessive and eat them whereas they’re sizzling! A wedge of lemon is all you want!
A lightweight batter is the important thing to creating good fried shrimp! Don’t disguise the attractive shrimp in a thick breading. This beer batter shrimp recipe is gentle, properly seasoned, and ideal with a wedge of lemon!
1 pound massive shrimp, peeled
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon Outdated bay
1 massive egg
1 12 ounce lager beer
Lemon wedges for serving
1 quart canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- Peel your shrimp (or purchase them pre-peeled) and dry the shrimp with a couple of paper towels.
- In a big bowl, whisk collectively flour, cornstarch, salt, and Outdated Bay. Then whisk in egg and beer till the batter is clean. The batter consistency must be roughly that of pancake batter.
- Preheat your oil in a deep fryer or in a big pot to 350˚ F.
- Add shrimp to the batter and coat properly.
- When oil is at temperature, use a fork to take out shrimp and let extra batter drain off. Gently place shrimp in sizzling oil.
- Fry the shrimp for about 4 minutes. Work in batches so the shrimp isn’t too crowded.
- When shrimp are performed frying, take away them and allow them to drain on a couple of paper towels. Season with a sprinkle of additional Outdated Bay.
- Serve beer battered shrimp whereas heat with lemon wedges.